6/17/08

Coconut Halwa Puris




Coconut Halwa Puris or halwe ki puri (as we call it) have been my favourite since childhood. When ever there would be a family get together like weddings or summer vacations and a lot of guests and kids would be anticipated , these would be made in huge batches and stored for a quick snack (they have a good shelf life though they disappear quickly).

I got this recipe from from my mother in law, its very easy to make and since the theme for
AFAM this time is Coconut I thought of sharing it with you all.



Ingredients:

For halwa:
1 lb packet of shredded frozen coconut, or
Flesh of 1 whole coconut, peeled to remove the brown skin
1/2 C chana dal, boiled
1.5 tsp cardamom/elaichi powder,
1/2 C ground almond paste,
1.5 C sugar, or to taste,
1 tbsp. Rose water

For Puris:
5 C all-purpose flour/maida
4 tbsp ghee, melted
3/4-1 C warm milk
water

Method:

Grind the fresh /frozen coconut to a very fine paste using as little water as possible. It should be a thick paste. Also grind the chana dal. Now dump the ground coconut, chana dal, almonds, sugar in a vessel and cook till you see bubbles. Keep stirring and cook til the paste is dry n most of the water is evaporated . Add elaichi powder n cook again . When the mixture is completely cooked n dry remove from heat and let it cool . Add rose water and mix well. The halwa is ready

Knead together maida, ghee and milk using little water to a soft dough. Cover with a wet towel and keep aside.

To make the puris , divide the dough in balls n roll out each into a 6" circle, fold it in half to get a crease line. Fill one half side of the circle with the halwa/ stuffing . Apply water by the edge and seal the other half tightly , crimp the edges . Fry them on both sides . Do not brown them , remove them from oil once they start floating .

For the ones who may find the above description a bit confusing , the process of assembling the puris is just like making pot stickers or pocket pies .



I am sending this recipe to Suganya of Tasty Palettes who is hosting the AFAM event this month and has made a very interesting choice of featuring Coconut. Thanks Suganya , for choosing such a versatile ingredient, I am excited about the round up already :) and while we are talking all things sweet I would like to mention about Jeena who sent me this lovely poem written by herself a few days back .....some people are really blessed ....Jeena not only cooks good n looks good ....she is a poet too ....:) Check out her poem ....


Thanks Jeena, that's one sweet poem and though I cannot pen down something equally good, I do feel the same for you :) I further pass it on to all my fellow bloggers.

20 comments:

FH said...

That one is beautiful Rahin, I can smell the aroma of that coconut!:)

Chef Jeena said...

Rahin, this recipe looks beautiful. I love the combination of ingredients I bet they taste fantastic.

Thank you so much for your kind hearted words. Sometimes I find writing as relaxing as cooking food. :-)

I am happy that you liked the poem and I can't wait to see more of your yummy recipes. :-)

Uma said...

wow, these puris look so delicious, rahin! I love anything with coconut. Beautiful pics.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Asha

Jeena I agree writing is relaxing, for the ones who are gud at it :D

Thank you Uma

Cynthia said...

I have not had one of these in years!

Anonymous said...

Cynthia....u r invited ...:)

Anonymous said...

Halwa puris, especially those with a filling of coconut are my favorite! They look delectable!

www.zaiqa.net

Mansi said...

a beautiful recipe Rahin! nice pics too:)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mona n Mansi

A_and_N said...

The halwa puris look really tasty :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rahin !
i read ur text it's really beautiful and i'm here to say something attractive,we haVe the same name!!! my name is Rahin too and ure the first person exept me that called Rahin
im so Glad!! good luck

Srikitchen said...

my first visit to ur blog and it is too nice! an award is waiting for u in my blog!

Srikitchen said...

an event for icecreams and milkshakes is going in my blog! participate in it!

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow looks yummmmmmmmmmmmmy.

Anjum said...

the puris look perfectly done.,good luck for the event,i love ur pics

Anonymous said...

Thank you A&N

Hi Srilekha , welcome to my blog , m sorry missed your event , some new developements in the family kept me busy , I also thank you for sharing the Wylde Woman Award with me , i look fwd to blog abt it asap

Thank you Kitchen flavors and Anjum

I have blogrolled all of you :)

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy. I never had a halwa puri before. Will surely try this. Sounds a little similar to the patishapta we bengali's make.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Faisal n welcome to my blog .....i have blogrolled u in my list

Purnima said...

Rahin, I have had added you on my reader, where I get to read latest posts..but my reader is not picking up any new posts from you, actually this post is last one, pls chk your settings and allow me to subscribe to your posts via my reader..wd let me know the moment a new update comes from you!)
These puris look like my kiddos type! :) Wd try them sometime n post feedback! Tks for sharing!

rahin said...

hey Purnima , thanks for letting me know ....i'll chk n update