11/28/07

Coconut-Raspberry Jam Cookies



Its been a long time since I wanted to share this recipe with you all. What makes these cookies special or different from other thumbprint or jam n jelly cookies is the coconut. And they look so pretty ....I could not resist posting 'too many' pics of them .

The recipe is simple, you make the cookie dough, chill it , make cookie size balls , roll it in coconut , give them your thumbprints, drop the jam n bake them. You don't use any coconut extract/essence , the shredded coconut lends its flavour.



Ingredients:

3 sticks/1.5 cups of unsalted butter, at room temperature,
1 cup sugar,
1 tsp. vanilla extract,
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour,
1/4 tsp.salt,
1 egg beaten with approx. 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
7 oz. sweetened flaked coconut,
Raspberry jam



Method:

Sift together the flour and salt.

Cream together the butter and sugar until just combined using an electric/hand held mixer, add vanilla extract, the flour mixture and mix until the dough starts to come together. Dump on a floured board and roll together into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Roll the dough into small, walnut size balls.

Dip each ball into the egg wash and then roll it in coconut. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and press a light indentation into the top of each with your finger. Drop a little jam into each indentation. Bake in an preheated oven , at 350 F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the coconut is a golden brown. Cool and serve.

You can use any jam you like. Using different color jams like mango, grape or even mixed fruit will make a colorful presentation . Also if you dont find the sweetened shredded coconut, I have also tried these with dessicated coconut and it works just fine :)


These are all boxed and packed and shipped to Zlamushka's beautiful event
Spoonful of Christmas




32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks very tasty & definitely, very nice photos... would be a great treat for the holiday season.

Also, nice presentation, i like the tray, the bowl..color,...

You seem to be a Cooking Connoisseur. Congrats.

FH said...

Great looking Thumbprint cookies, I love coconut in any dessert. Great job Rahin, thanks for posting, love the photos too!:))

Chef Jeena said...

I love these cookies they look so tasty and I bet the coconut gave them that extra treat of a flavour. Great post yummy. :)

Susan said...

Rahin, another great, easy recipe for my Xmas collection. I bake a cake w/ raspberry and coconut, but these are way quicker and just as tasty...I can tell from here!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Qasid

Hi Asha I am glad u liked them

Jeena you are right , a little coconut goes a long way

hey Susan, thank u :),these cookies are easy and tasty too, btw the coconut raspberry cake sounds gud :P

Cynthia said...

I bet these just kinda melt in your mouth. Beautiful.

zlamushka said...

Oh Rahin, these are beautiful! Thank you so much for participating. Mouth.melting, I bet they are!

Meera said...

These cookies look so delicious!

Rahin said...

hey Cynthia, Thank you

Hi Zlamushka, gud to c u :) thanks for hosting such an interesting event

Thank you Meera

mallugirl said...

yummy!how abt sending it for meeta's holiday meet too?

Richa said...

so very tempting! yum....:)

Rahin said...

hey Shaheen, Thank u, can u plz gimme the link for meetas event, i dint knew abt it :)

Thanks Richa

J said...

These look fabulous!! Great pics too!

Rahin said...

thank you Jyothsna :)

Rachel said...

They look so prefect..especially the shape! Coconut must have added a crunchiness right? Lovely ones!

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rahin said...

Thank you Rachel, yes these are a bit crunchy due to the coconut

Kajal said...

Lovely and yummy Cookies.:))

Rahin said...

thanks kajal

Anonymous said...

Hello Rahin,

My name is Shannon and I'm the editorial assistant at Foodbuzz.com. Following up on a recent email invitation to be a part of our newly launched Foodbuzz Featured Publisher program, I just want to reiterate that I am very impressed with the quality of your posts. I would love to send you more details about the program, so if you are interested, please email me at Shannon@foodbuzz.com.

Great looking cookies.

Cheers!

Shannon Eliot
Editorial Assistant, Foodbuzz.com
shannon@foodbuzz.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Rahin, The cookies look yummy!
How are you doing? Its been a long time since you updated your blog, hope everything's fine..
Takecare.

www.zaiqa.net

Rahin said...

Thank you Shannon

Hey Mona, Thank you , I am doin absolutely fine , its just been very busy n hectic but i will soon be posting n updating my blog :)

Madhumita said...

Rahin been ages since I visited and I'm glad I did! I'm going to bake these cookies tomorrow - they look great :).

Also I took your advice and started posting pics with my recipes on http://mitahaar.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

hi madhumita , gud to c u , i hope u n ur loved ones enjoy the cookies .....also I checked ur new blog , looks v gud , gud luck to u

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rahin said...

Thanks for your kind words

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Rahin said...

Thanks Anonymous.

kavita Naik/Parsekar said...

Hi Rahin,
I must admit d recipes in your blog r very tempting , I looking forward to make d coconut as well as walnut cookies, could u plz tell me which brand of sweetened coconut flakes you used in ur recipe, coz some of them tastes very horrible,not natural at all, thanks waiting for a reply from u so taht i can bake them soon!

kavita Naik/Parsekar said...

Hi Rahin,
I must admit d recipes in your blog r very tempting , I looking forward to make d coconut as well as walnut cookies, could u plz tell me which brand of sweetened coconut flakes you used in ur recipe, coz some of them tastes very horrible,not natural at all, thanks waiting for a reply from u so taht i can bake them soon!

Rahin said...

Thank You Kavita! I used the Baker brand of sweetened shredded coconut, but if you don find it, you can always use dessicated coconut or skip the coconut part and just bake them plain, let me know :)