12/14/09

Sweet Potato Soup



Nothing is more comforting than a warm bowl of soup on a cold, snowy, wintry night. Soups are not only very quick and easy to put together, but are also very healthy and satisfying.

Ingredients:(Serves 2)
3 tbsp. olive oil,
4 tbsp. onion, chopped,
2 C sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed,
2 C vegetable stock,
1/2 tsp garlic paste,
salt and pepper, to taste.

Method:

Heat oil, add onions, let them fry for a min . Add sweet potatoes, garlic paste and saute. Season it with salt and pepper. Add vegetable stock let it all cook for a few mins. until the potatoes are tender. Remove from heat, let it cool slightly and puree it in a blender or food processor.

Serve hot or at room temperature with toasted baguette.

This is the most basic recipe, you can definitely spice it up, flavor your soup with chicken stock, beef stock, curry powder, coriander powder, roasted fennel powder, tandoori masala, possibilities are endless as this soup is very versatile. Fresh mint also adds a wonderful flavor.

I like my soups to be thick , it just makes it easy to feed my 1 yr old, but you can make it less thick by adding more broth/stock.

This soup is being sent to Monthly Mingle event hosted this month by Sunshine Mom.

17 comments:

Malar Gandhi said...

Yummo'...comfort meal for this cold winter.

Sunshinemom said...

I am sure that tastes great! I am yet to try a sweet potato soup:). Thanks for sending this to the mingle, Rahin.

VENNILLA said...

Thanks for adding me rahin.. I too will addnow..

Gita Jaishankar said...

The soup does look comforting...healthy one too :)

Cham said...

I like sweet potato soup made it with ginger. Looks great!

Sunitha said...

Awesome recipe... I agree.. soups are the best for the cold weather.. thanks for the recipe..

Namitha said...

Inviting and comforting soup...timely recipe for this weather :-)

Rahin said...

Thanks Malar, Harini, Vennilla, Gita, Cham, Nostalgia, Gulmohar

Chef Jeena said...

I love the colour of your soup, such a comfort food.

sun said...

Hi.. nice posts.. I like ur blog.. Hope u will visit my blog too..

Unknown said...

Soup looks comforting in this chilly weather.

Rahin said...

Thanks Jeena n Divya

Thanks Sun I did visit your blog , think its pretty cool

PJ said...

Perfect comfort meal for the winter! Thanks for stopping by my blog, Rahin! I am so glad you did because now I have found your blog with wonderful recipes and nice clicks!

Rahin said...

Thanks PJ, I think you have one fabulous blog yourself

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That soup must be delicious!

Happy New Year!

Cheers,

Rosa

Unknown said...

First time here..U have fabolous space filled with yummy recipe..love to follow u...C u often.:)
Soup looks great and I am sure tastes as good.perfect for weather.

Rahin said...

Thanks Rosa n Happy New Year to you too !

Hi Sangeetha, Thank you for your kind words, welcome to Lazzat